SLAVERY AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING STATEMENT
Square One is a specialist recruitment business that provides independent and highly-skilled IT and Pharmaceutical contractors to clients on a time and materials basis and introduces candidates to clients for permanent employment. Since its incorporation in 1995 Square One has widened its reach considerably, dealing with both domestic and international (especially European) clients and contractors. Our contractors frequently operate through their own personal service companies, although a number of them provide services through “umbrella companies”, which are responsible for deducting relevant taxes and NIC for the contractor.
Since the Modern Slavery Act 2015 (“MSA”) came into force, we continue our commitment to comply with it and promote compliance amongst our suppliers. It remains to be the case that the type of criminal actions covered by the MSA is unlikely to occur in our supply chain, due to the following reasons:
- We engage qualified, highly-skilled specialists. Whether the candidate is introduced for a contract or a permanent role, they undergo a number of interviews and assessments by both Square One and the relevant client.
- We carry out identity, right to work and referencing checks. When required to do so by the client we carry out additional checks, including DBS and detailed employment and address history for a number of years prior to the engagement.
- We pay contractors directly to the bank accounts that are linked to their personal service companies. Where the contractor is engaged via an umbrella company, payments are made direct to the umbrella company, whilst maintaining contact with the contractor at all times. It is the individual contractors’ choice in who they partner with.
- Where services supplied by the contractor in the public sector are deemed to be within IR35 we conduct due diligence checks to ensure that the contractor is engaged on a PAYE basis.
- We regularly review and audit our suppliers for purposes of ascertaining compliance with relevant laws and regulations in order to be included in our Approved Supplier List. Should a contractor insist on using an umbrella company that is not on this list, they will be required to complete an audit form that confirms they are compliant.
- We regularly carry out training with all of our employees to ensure that they are kept informed and updated of relevant laws and regulations.
- In order to ensure that our suppliers are also compliant with the MSA, we include a question on modern slavery and trafficking on our due diligence form for our Approved Suppliers List, which is reviewed annually.
As a business we will continue to monitor our operations to ensure these are in line with the MSA, as well as advance our dedication to human rights and sustainability through regular reviews of our internal policies.
Square One Resources Limited
Updated December 2018